Players are invited to interact with another world in Crytek’s VR showcase. Crytek released its Back to Dinosaur Island 2 virtual reality demo as a free download today, giving players everywhere the chance to experience the combined power of CRYENGINE and VR hardware.
Back to Dinosaur Island 2 received a glowing reception when it was first shown to attendees at E3 2015 and has previously only been playable at select industry events. Now, however, gamers everywhere can sample the VR experience firsthand by downloading it for free from Steam.
The demo invites players to scale a deadly cliff face as huge flying dinosaurs react to their presence, and debris rains down from above. Mysterious landmarks on the horizon and stunning vistas on every side combine to immerse gamers in an entirely new reality.
Crytek’s Executive Producer, Elijah Freeman, said: “The feedback we received from people who played Back to Dinosaur Island 2 was really encouraging, and the lessons we learned from creating it have been significant for our current VR projects. The demo goes beyond being merely a visual showcase and includes interactive elements that harness the unique power of the medium. By making this experience available for free, we hope as many players as possible will take the opportunity to feel truly present in a new world of dinosaurs.”
Crytek has also released a video that offers a glimpse of what to expect in the demo. The video is now playing at YouTube, and gamers can visit www.crytek.com and www.cryengine.com for the latest news on Crytek’s ongoing work in VR.
Back to Dinosaur Island 2 can be played using any VR headset with Rift SDK 0.8 and later.
The Unity 5.3.4 public release brings you a few improvements and a large number of fixes. Read the release notes below for details.
For more information about the previous main release, see the Unity 5.3 Release Notes.
- Android: Audio; don’t select OpenSL output if the native device params are too bad for fast path (fixes audio issues on some buggy devices).
- Android: Buildpipe; updated SDK tools requirements for the Editor.
- Android: Editor; added Marshmallow to the list of APIs.
- Android: IL2CPP; use Android NDK x64 on x64 Windows Editor.
- Android: Soft Input; get rid of hardcoded text color, switch to Light theme.
- Editor: Added warning dialog if there is any version difference between editor and last project save.
- Metal: Add -force-metal switch to force Metal rendering on OSX/iOS.
- OpenGL Core: A whole bunch of fixes, particularly on Macs. See Fixes list below.
- Scripting: introduced global define UNITY_5_3_OR_NEWER, which can be used for conditionally compile code that is compatible only with Unity 5.3 or newer.
- Win / OSX Standalone: Add -hideWindow command line option to launch standalone applications with the window hidden.
- Windows: Added a new command line argument for standalone builds: -window-mode. Options: borderless, exclusive. It lets users override the default fullscreen window behavior.
- 2D: Changing Rigidbody2D.gravityScale while a Rigidbody2D.MovePosition is in progress now works. (762771)
- 2D: Ensure Joint2D auto-configuration still works if joint is added from script (765870)
- 2D: Ensure that a TargetJoint2D added via script allows collisions with static colliders. (763922)
- 2D: Stop Rigidbody2D with Interpolation being placed at world origin for a single update upon start. (764769)
- Analytics: Fixed unreliable event sending (especially AppStart) on WebGL. (770316)
- Android: Added support for Vivante OpenGL ES 3 driver. (738821, 758155)
- Android: Fixed alignment crash on some Android ARM devices. (768974)
- Android: Fixed an issue where Ping wouldn’t work in release mode. (734124)
- Android: Fixed black screen or crash during startup on old PVR devices (Samsung Galaxy S I9000). (762875)
- Android: Fixed bug in Texture.GetPixels for ETC compressed textures. (759195)
- Android: Fixed rendering artifacts when using native plugins and multithreaded renderer. (772171)
- Android: Fixed rendering on Vivante GPUs on Android 4.3 and older. (712890, 771890)
- Android: IL2CPP; fixed build errors on NDK paths with whitespaces. (763447)
- Android: IL2CPP; fixed crash on second startup after installation. (766698)
- Android/IL2CPP; prevent a crash in the garbage collector when it attempts to scan a section of memory used for the code that may have been unmapped by the OS. (755201)
- Animation: Fixed a crash when animating lights using the legacy Animation component. (772260)
- Animation: Prevent crashes when clips are null for animations extracted from asset bundles whose dependencies have not loaded. (756463)
- API Updater: Fixed “Sequence contains more than one matching element” crash. (760684)
- API Updater: Fixed crash upon assembly resolution failures. (743463)
- Asset Bundles: Only reimport when setting asset bundle name if cache server is connected. (714661)
- AssetBundles: BuildAssetBundles will switch back to the original active build target when finished. (759142)
- Audio: Disabled sound manager watch dog. (774356)
- Core: Fixed an issue asynchronously loading a prefab with a large amount of assets. (771882)
- Core: Fixed some errors with recently deleted objects (in WWWDelayCall; ClearPersistentDirty call; editor CEF integration).
- Editor: Don’t call OnLevelWasLoaded on the first scene when entering play mode. (759231)
- Editor: Fix for clustering allocation while navigating. (747856)
- Editor: Fixed a crash when selecting some prefabs. (766469)
- Editor: Fixed an issue that made GameObjects disappear from the Editor if they have an associated editor script that made use of DontDestroyOnLoad. (754127)
- Editor: Fixed an issue when opening a scene from the Project Browser while in playmode it resulted in that scene being loaded even after going out of playmode. (767728)
- Editor: Fixed misleading texture decompression warning in graphics emulation. (760112)
- Editor: Fixed startup when Unity is in a path with non-ASCII characters. (765159)
- Editor: Fixed the issue of GUI.Windows background not being tinted by GUI.colors anymore. (756004)
- Editor: Fixed the issue of marking scene dirty when creating prefab by dragging from Hierarchy window to Project. (758409)
- Editor: Fixed the issue of marking the scene dirty when pressing the apply button on a prefab instance. (757027)
- Global Illumination: Fixed crash in some scene loading scenarios. (768849)
- Global Illumination: Fixed crash when building lighting with a specific scene setup. (767222)
- Global Illumination: Fixed light probes not being used anymore in Standalone when a scene without light probes was loaded with Additive mode. (767161)
- Global Illumination: Fixed multi-scene baking. (751599)
- Global Illumination: Fully repaint inspectors after baking reflection probes; some previews were not updating before. (663992)
- Global Illumination: When compositing the directional lightmap removed the clamping on the w-component of the generated pixels.
- Graphics: Added profiler markers on async texture loading waits.
- Graphics: Fixed .ogv movie files with stream markers beyond 16kb not imported correctly. (772013)
- Graphics: Fixed “Trying to reload asset from disk that is not stored on disk” error when non-persistent objects are attempted to be reloaded from disk. (752613)
- Graphics: Fixed a synchronization problem that was causing texture data not to be properly updated when changing quality settings at runtime. (752613)
- Graphics: Fixed an issue where GrabPass could get source texture wrongly offset in some cases. (75508, 726067)
- Graphics: Fixed an issue where setting a material’s shader to null would crash the editor. (771292)
- Graphics: Fixed an issue where TrailRenderer would randomly vanish/flicker. (740580)
- Graphics: Fixed crash in SetGpuProgramName which could happen when the program isn’t supported by the target graphics hardware (found on Android) . (772958)
- Graphics: Fixed GenerateSecondaryUVs crashes on some meshes.
- Graphics: Fixed MovieTextures sometimes being black in Mac Standalone (64 or Universal builds). (765928)
- Graphics: Prevent Projectors from accepting invalid clip planes from a script. (506089, 535548)
- Graphics/DX11: Fixed compute shader resource hazards found in certain cases when binding the same resource SRV and UAV on pixel and compute shader stages. (542251)
- IL2CPP: Avoid crash when constructing error message. (770081)
- IL2CPP: Correctly sort unsigned integers via the Array.Sort method. (774085)
- IL2CPP: Prevent generated C++ code from failing to compile with errors like “error: use of undeclared identifier ‘L_5′” in some cases. (773713, 768010)
- IL2CPP: Properly marshal formatted classes (762883, 746313)
- IL2CPP: Properly parse binary text assets. (771835)
- iOS Metal: Fixed performance regression when doing in-frame clear (GL.Clear or command buffer Clear). (775362)
- iOS: Fixed redirect for WWW. (723960)
- Linux: Fixed MSAA in non-upscaled windows, force window recreation when requirements change for player window attributes.
- Linux/GLCore: Fixed one more instance of render. (775575)
- Mecanim: Fixed an issue with Animation clip length for bundled clip. (753888)
- Mecanim: Fixed AnimationClip.SampleAnimation memory leak. (760612)
- Mecanim: Fixed Animator with statemachine behaviour runtime compile error not firing callback on the right SMB. (756129)
- Mecanim: Fixed assert when using Animator.MatchTarget.
- Mecanim: Fixed long start play mode for scene with lots of controller. (769964)
- Mecanim: Fixed StateMachineBehaviours on layer not being called properly. (765141)
- Mono: Added IPv6 support on Windows. (767741)
- Networking: Fixed a crash due to wrong initialization of connection.
- Networking: Fixed an issue where ack didn’t reset with connection resetting which lead to reliable traffic stale. (775226)
- Networking: Removed annoying “Attempt to send to not connected connection” message. (775222)
- Networking: Removing “no free events for message” as annoying. (775225)
- Networking: Send Error: val > 0 on user disconnect, results in memory write violation and editor crash. (754510)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed twitching and incorrect rendering with skinning and UI components on GLCore + Mac + NVIDIA. (773476, 775275, 767857, 766778)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed fullscreen mode when not using native resolution and using MSAA on Mac AMD GPUs. (775428, 776470)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed fullscreen MSAA support with linear color space rendering. (774558, 774216)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed Graphics API switching to OpenGL. (762687)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed occasional game view flipping with image effects in the editor. (760196)
- OpenGL Core: Fixed dynamic geometry performance issues on Mac + NVIDIA.
- OpenGL Core: Fixed stretched game view with some image effects in Mac editor. (757536, 757866)
- OpenGL Core: Workaround for Nvidia shader compiler bug on OS X, affecting SSAO shader. (756028)
- OpenGL Core/ES: Fixed scalar uniform handling in the shader translator. (772167)
- OpenGL Core/ES: Fixed wrong shader code generation when redirecting variables, was affecting FastBloom shader. (772434)
- OpenGL Core/ES: Shader compiler, fixed invalid uniform access in certain corner cases. (767343)
- OpenGL ES: Fixed non-shadowmap depth textures on some devices. (768916)
- OpenGL: Fixed point size support using GLSL PROGRAM snippets. (763875)
- Particles: Fixed a culling regression, when particle systems leave the screen and come back. (773673)
- Particles: Fixed error message due to default bounding box. (767419)
- Physics: Fixed a PhysX crash issue in PxsCCDContext::updateCCD experienced by some VR applications. (776187)
- Profiler: Fixed crash when adding data from thread which was started during a frame. (758264)
- Profiler: Fixed hang when EndSample did not have a matching BeginSample. (770225)
- Shaders: Added support to the compute shader compiler to handle bools inside structures.
- Shaders: Fixed Standard shader in some rare cases outputing NaN as pixel shader result. (766806)
- Shadows: Fixed shadows disappearing for some off-screen shadows casters. (761152)
- Substance: All inputs are now applied to a ProceduralMaterial on the first RebuildTextures() call after the material’s textures have been read from cache. Previously, only the modified inputs were applied.
- Substance: Fixed Editor freeze upon instantiation of resource. (771650)
- Substance: Fixed broken detection and assignment of shader keywords resulting in wrong appearance of ProceduralMaterials in scenes when the ProceduralMaterial was not opened in the Inspector (some shader keywords were enabled when they should not).
- Substance: Fixed cache hashing and management issue which could cause the cache to be considered valid again after having been invalidated (often seen after calling Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets()).
- Substance: Fixed loading of files with special characters in their paths or names.
- Substance: Fixed rare crash caused by using the wrong size when uploading ProceduralTextures.
- Substance: Fixed upgrading UNITY 4.x project data, legacy shaders should now be used for these old projects instead of being incorrectly replaced by the Standard shader. (765510)
- Tizen: Fixed error about copying whitelists while building on Windows. (773614)
- UI: Fixed exceptions upon assembly/type resolution failures. (770048)
- UI: Fixed memory leak where dirty renderers on a disabled canvas would still get added to the dirty list causing crashes on clear. (773533)
- UI: Fixed sorting issue where gird based depth sorting would fail to recognize overlapping unbatchable items. (770804)
- UI: Stopped raycast from traversing up the hierarchy when a canvas with override sorting is encountered.
- UI: Vertical alignment of text sometimes appearing higher than expected. (760753)
- Unity Ads: Updated to 1.5.6 version (fixes crash on Android 4.1 and earlier).
- VR: Restart the VR Device if the Oculus Service fails.
- Wii U: Fixed a crash on secondary error confirmation. (767206)
- Windows Store: Fixed exported VS project failing to build for non-x86 CPU when there is a managed assembly in the project that’s been compiled for x86. (770931)
- Windows Store/IL2CPP: Fixed game crashing when its name is exactly 20 characters long. (769835)
- Windows Store/IL2CPP: Fixed intellisense in generated Il2CppOutputProject to be able to correctly resolve Windows 10 headers. (771765)
- Windows Store/IL2CPP: Fixed failing to build on top of a previous build when target directory is read-only. (766764)
- Windows Store/IL2CPP: Graphics plugins now work. (770941)
- Windows Store/IL2CPP: Reduced the amount of linker warnings when building.
- Windows: Fixed Application.persistentDataPath when Product Name contains invalid path character. (756152)
- Windows: Fixed unnecessary symbols exported for Windows Standalone Player executable. This was making some Nvidia drivers wrongly pick up integrated GPU instead of discrete one on some systems.
- XBoxOne/IL2CPP: Allow a call to Guid.NewGuid to work correctly. (769711)
The Unity 5.3.3 public release brings you a few improvements and a large number of fixes. Read the release notes below for details.
For more information about the previous main release, see the Unity 5.3 Release Notes.
- GI: Optimized GISceneManager.Update in order to take less processor time on scene start (769044).
- Graphics: D3D11 native plugin API now supports obtaining native texture type underpinning a RenderBuffer. (752855)
- IL2CPP: Removed warnings from generated C++ code when compiling with clang.
- Smart TV: Correspond 2016 TV’s fonts and remote controller.
- Substance: A FreezeAndReleaseSourceData() method was added to the ProceduralMaterial class. This renders the ProceduralMaterial immutable and releases some of the underlying data to decrease the memory footprint. To release even more of the underlying data, it is necessary to call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets() afterwards. Once frozen, the ProceduralMaterial cannot be cloned, its ProceduralTextures cannot be rebuilt, nor its inputs be set.
- VR: Mask invisible pixels so GPU time is not wasted near screen edges (Oculus SDK 1.0+).
- Audio/Scripting: An optimization was reverted while fixing (739224) and (761360) which would cause memory to once again be allocated during audio callbacks.
- BlackBerry: Removed BlackBerry option from build player settings window.
- 2D: Fixed memory leak when applying changes to sprite. (754282)
- 2D: Occlusion Culling works correctly with X/Y flipped SpriteRenderers. (760062)
- Android: Fixed internal profiler on Gear VR. (741003)
- Android: Fixed missing styles.xml files. (768027)
- Android: Fixed remote frame debugger. (742199)
- Android: Marshmallow – Added the possibility to disable the permission dialog by adding metadata to the activity.
- Android: Mono – Fixed crash on startup with Unity Ads when stripping is enabled. (755510)
- Android: Timeout no longer happens when an application is sent to the background. (738843)
- Animation: Fixed a crash when changing OverrideController on Animator with no Avatar. (741043)
- Animation: Fixed a crash where assigning an override controller with no controller to override. (764778)
- Animation: Fixed changing Animator.runtimeAnimatorController while in play mode crashing the editor. (731237)
- Animation: Fixed Euler angles on rotation causing Transform to be set to NaN in some cases. (759408, 760759)
- AssetBundle: Change to use natural sorting when listing the AssetBundle names. (736556)
- AssetBundle: Fixed loading error for asset bundles built with DisableWriteTypeTree flag. (756567)
- AssetBundle: Fixed the hash collision when building AssetBundles. (716166)
- AssetBundle: Fixed the issue that LoadAsset(name) returns null if a bundle contains a prefab and another asset with the same name. (743704)
- AssetBundle: Loading multiple invalid asset bundles fails correctly now. (756198)
- AssetBundles: Fixed AssetBundle.CreateFromFile retaining file descriptor. – The previous fix was incomplete. (715753)
- Audio: Fixed mixer reverb effects getting cut off early in standalone builds. (760985)
- Audio: Avoid random crashes when using audio callbacks in scripts. (739224, 761360)
- Core: Fixed crash when game object that is a child of a missing prefab is deleted. (757799)
- Core: Improved the error message when build data files are corrupted or from a mismatched version.
- Core: Make sure persistent transforms are not added to the active scene when running in a player. (758058)
- Editor: Fixed issue of a new scripts created in Editor folder if Unity installation path contains “test” word. (761664)
- Editor: Fixed a bug where Undo recording would insert property modification on the prefab asset if it was being edited in the inspector. (711720)
- Editor: Fixed crash when entering playmode if LoadScene was called during Awake or Start. (756409, 760459)
- Editor: Fixed crash when replacing prefabs with Alt button pressed. (753176)
- Editor: Fixed editor freeze when picking in scene with many overlapping game objects. (730441)
- Editor: Fixed freeze/crash on project startup when async upload buffer is set too small. (754704)
- Editor: Fixed game object duplicates on play when reference to that game object is set in another scene. (750117)
- Editor: It is now possible to replace a prefab asset with a different prefab asset. (761995)
- Frame Debugger: Even when it was not used, it was creating some overhead in development standalone builds. Reduced that.
- GI: Fix for lightmaps in linear lighting mode looking different between the player and editor. (724426)
- GI: Fix for LoadLevel in the player causing lightmaps to become brighter when in Linear mode. (728595, 738173)
- GI: Fixed brightly coloured (green/red/white/blue) pixels appearing in the directional lightmap caused by interpolation from invalid indirect lightmap data. Note: Need to clear the GI cache and rebake to get the fixed lightmaps. (765205, 734187)
- GI: Fixed missing Ambient when “Baked GI” is disabled and “Ambient GI” is set to Baked. (756506)
- Graphics: Fixed a crash in the editor when switching graphics API from a non-DX9 API e.g. DX11. (740782)
- Graphics: Fixed an issue where Standard shader using directional lightmaps could output NaN to the framebuffer. This would usually blow up when using HDR rendering with Bloom.
- Graphics: Fixed building shaders correctly for WebGL in AssetBundles. (746302)
- Graphics: Fixed crash when calling Graphics.DrawMesh with null material. (756849)
- Graphics: Fixed crash when using GL.Begin quad rendering with non-multiple-of-4 vertex count. (761584)
- Graphics: Fixed video memory leak in the splash screen animation.
- Graphics: Fixed occasional Movie Texture crash with multiple movies present. (753593, 764084)
- Graphics: Fixed profiling related information (SetGpuProgramName) performance issue in development player builds.
- Graphics: Fixed rendering of deferred reflections when last object rendered before them had negative scale. (757330)
- Graphics: Fixed skinned mesh memory leak. (760665)
- Graphics: In Editor OpenGL ES 2.0 emulation increase max cubemap size to 1024 (from 512). (650870)
- Graphics: Reduced framerate spikes where culling system could sometimes stall for several ms while waiting for jobs.
- Graphics: Textures imported as cubemaps now are properly marked as non-readable if import option says so. Saves memory! (724664)
- IL2CPP: Avoid crash on IL2CPP when searching for attributes. (766208)
- IL2CPP: Avoid double allocation of memory for multi-dimensional arrays. (766168)
- IL2CPP: Fixed performance regression in LivenessState calculation. The performance is back to where it was prior to 5.3.2p2.
- IL2CPP: Fixed an occasional crash when capturing managed heap when parts of it are not committed.
- IL2CPP: Fixed Array.Copy when destination array type is wider than source array type (e.g. int -> long). (741166)
- IL2CPP: Fixed Stfld/Ldfld opcode usage generated by MS C# compiler. (761530)
- IL2CPP: Fixed Unity IAP on Android with IL2CPP. (761763)
- IL2CPP: Generate proper C++ code for marshaling wrappers of methods that have System.Guid as a parameter type. (766642)
- IL2CPP: Implemented support for Assembly.GetReferencedAssemblies and Module.GetTypes() (724547)
- IL2CPP: Properly marshal arrays of four-byte bool values. (767334)
- IL2CPP: Raised NullReferenceException when Ldvirtftn instruction had a null target. (766208)
- iOS: Added missing icon for iPad Pro. (755415)
- iOS: Fix for WWW deadlock. (759480)
- iOS: Fixed a crash triggered by deactivating an input while app is going into background. (760747)
- iOS: Fixed an issue where attached controllers were not found. (761326)
- iOS: Fixed application freeze on iphone4 when rotating device. (761684)
- iOS: Fixed code completion for iOS Editor Extensions. (759212)
- iOS: Handheld.PlayFullScreenMovie only allows playing one movie at a time.
- iOS: Notify Transport that we finished receiving data so we can mark the buffer as complete when we get an error. (761361)
- iOS: While entering background/foreground, improve player pause/resume handling to check if external parties (like video player) currently manage the paused state. (534752)
- iOS/IL2CPP: Prevent a managed exception on 64-bit builds during some array creation operations which has the message “ArgumentException: Destination array was not long enough. Check destIndex and length, and the array’s lower bounds”. (765910)
- iOS/OSX: Fixed SIMD math, which fixes skinning on iOS and source code compilation on OSX. (754816)
- iOS/Video: AVKit based player didn’t show “done” button on iOS 8+. (736756)
- iOS/Video: Fixed MPMoviePlayer error handling for invalid files.
- iOS/Video: Improved MPMoviePlayer/AVKit orientation and view controller handling. (746018, 729470)
- iOS/Video: Scaling mode behaviour fixes for iPad Pro. (745346)
- iOS/Xcode: Added .tbd extension support.
- Linux: Fixed flickering/corrupted rendering with OpenGL Core. (770160)
- Linux: Fixed non-native-resolution fullscreen rendering with OpenGL Core. (763944)
- Mono: Corrected a crash in mono_string_to_utf8_checked when Marshal.StructureToPtr is called from managed code. (759459)
- Mono: Resolved intermittent crash caused by a race condition that occurs when using managed threads.
- MSE: Fixed the issue that calling SceneManager.LoadScene** while exiting playmode causes scene unremovable from the hierarchy. (756218)
- MSE: Fixed the issue that SceneManager.sceneCountInBuildSettings gives 0 until entering play mode. (754925)
- Networking: Fixed issue where NetworkManager doesn’t become “ready” if online scene is set and offline scene is not. (734218)
- Networking: Fixed issue where OnStartAuthority is called twice on hosts. (748967)
- Networking: SyncLists now only send updates when values change. (738047)
- OpenGL Core: Various bug fixes to the shader compiler; often resulting in better performance for complex image effect shaders.
- OpenGL Core: Fixed random crashes on compute shader dispatch. (761412)
- Particles: Ensure consistent direction between 3D and 1D rotation. (760830)
- Particles: Fix for terrains ignoring collision layers. (763041)
- Particles: Fixed a collision crash. (757969)
- Particles: Fixed IsFinite error spam with particles and second camera. (756786)
- Particles: Fixed issue where particle system doesn’t play if method is called via Invoke. (757461)
- Particles: Fixed issue where particle system is stopped and cleared and after that it won’t play when simulation space is set to local. (756971)
- Particles: Fixed issue where particles are not drawn in the correct order on rotated particle systems. (696610)
- Particles: Fixed issue where ParticleSystem.IsAlive() always returns True for particle systems with longer duration. (755677)
- Particles: Fixed issue whereby particles systems are not looping correctly. (756742)
- Particles: Fixed particle culling issues. (764701)
- Particles: Fixed support for negative inherit velocity values. (758197)
- Particles: Fixed the issue of particles disappearing after going offscreen and returning. (759502)
- Particles: Fixed wrong culling of some particle objects caused by incorrect bounds calculation due to parent scaling. (723993)
- Particles: Fixed: particle system not playing when triggered via Event Trigger. (756725)
- Particles: Fixed: particle system only playing once. (756194)
- Particles: Particles are now emitted with the correct position//rotation when using a Skinned Mesh Renderer or Mesh Renderer as shape. (745121)
- Physics: Fixed center of mass and inertia tensor being reset after game object was reactivated. (765300)
- Physics: Rigidbodies without non-trigger colliders can. have custom center of mass and inertia tensor again (763806)
- Renderdoc: When making a RenderDoc capture from editor UI, make sure to include the whole frame including user script updates.
- Scripting: Fixed issue that causes UnityScript to incorrectly detect some methods return type. (754405)
- Scripting: Prevent the Particle System from being stripped if the Particle System Renderer is used and engine code stripping is enabled. (761784)
- Shaders: Fixed a shader compiler crash if a compute shader declares a samplerstate that didn’t match the naming scheme.
- Shadows: Changed light shadows near plane minimum bound to either 1% of range or 0.1, whichever is lower.
- Shadows: Fixed “half of scene all in shadows” artifacts in some scene/camera setups. (743239)
- Smart TV: Fixed a problem to show custom splash screen.
- Sprites: Occlusion Culling works correctly with X/Y flipped SpriteRenderers. (760062)
- Substance: Fixed corner cases of outputs not being impacted by any input not being generated. (754556, 534658, 762897)
- Tizen: Fixed cursor initially starting in the wrong position on screen. (740180)
- Tizen: Fixed OpenGL crashing issues on the Z300F.
- Tizen: Input field will no longer show when return is pressed on an empty entry. (740172)
- Tizen: System permissions that are not required are no longer requested.
- tvOS: Fixed build error with Xcode trampoline. (767645)
- tvOS: Fixed Game Center score reporting due to incorrect API check. (755395)
- UI: Fixed “Trying to add (Layout Rebuilder for) Content (UnityEngine.RectTransform) for layout rebuild while we are already inside a layout rebuild loop.” error. (739376, 740617)
- UI: Fixed flickering/texture swapping issues. (753423, 758106)
- UI: Fixed issue with incorrect accent calculation for non-dynamic fonts. (747512)
- Upgrades: Delete the installed Playback Engines and Documentation before upgrading Unity. (756818)
- VR: Dynamically switch to headset’s audio output / input driver (Oculus SDK 1.0+).
- VR: Fixed audio redirection in standalone builds (Oculus SDK 1.0+).
- VR: Fixed crash when trying to enter play mode when the Plugin was not loaded or the Oculus runtime was not installed. (759841)
- VR: Fixed Skybox clipping issues. (755122, 717989, 734122)
- VR: Fixed VR Focus and VR ShouldQuit not respecting notifications when the Device was disconnected.
- VR: Fixed VR Splash screen color precision.
- WebGL: Corrected the following compiler error which might occur in generated C++ code: “error: non-constant-expression cannot be narrowed from type ‘uintptr_t’ (aka ‘unsigned int’) to ‘il2cpp_array_size_t’ (aka ‘int’) in initializer list [-Wc++11-narrowing]”. (767744)
- Windows Store : Building from Unity will no longer overwrite project.json file if it was modified in solution. (765876)
- Windows Store : When building from Unity files in Visual Studio solution will not be overwritten if identical. (759735)
- Windows Store: Fixed a “MdilXapCompile failed” error when trying to build Visual Studio project for Windows Phone 8.1. This used to happen when the Unity game had over 8000 classes across all assemblies. (762582)
- Windows Store: Fixed a crash when loading C# type from plugin which was not included in the final build. (765893)
- Windows Store: Fixed a crash which happened on “Windows N” versions when using IL2CPP scripting backend. (760989)
- Windows Store: Fixed a rare crash in ARM linker (fatal error LNK1322: cannot avoid potential ARM hazard (QSD8960 P1 processor bug) in section #) when using IL2CPP scripting backend. (766755)
- Windows Store: Fixed an issue which caused small tiles get copied to Visual Studio solution incorrectly for Windows Phone 8.1 SDK. (762926)
- Windows Store: Fixed anti-alising when calling Screen.SetResolution on Universal Windows 10 Apps/.
- Windows Store: Fixed Application.Quit() when using D3D project type or IL2CPP scripting backend. (764378)
- Windows Store: Fixed error “Task ‘ExpandPriContent’ failed.” which occurred when trying to build an application package with IL2CPP scripting backend when using default Unity icons. (764632)
- Windows Store: Fixed Visual studio graphics debugger crashing when trying to debug Windows Phone 8.1 projects.
- Windows Store: Mouses and touches will work correctly after locking/unlocking the screen. (768929)
- Windows Store: Screen.Resolution(x, y, true) will no longer ignore width and height, so you can set your desired resolution on Universal Windows 10 Apps.
- Windows Store: Screen.resolutions will return a valid value. (748845)
- WinRT/IL2CPP: Allow native DLLs to be loaded both with and without the .dll extension. (760041)
- XboxOne: Fixed a bug with YUY2 processing on the XboxOne.
- XboxOne/IL2CPP: Fixed a problem compiling generated C++ files when there is a space in the path to the project directory. (768193)
- Bugfix: AI senses registration code no longer crashes if the AI agent is missing some senses.
- Bugfix: Behavior Tree node instantiation no longer crashes when making AI switch from one Behavior Tree asset to another.
- Added debugging tools.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to toggle game HUD and debug messages in the gameplay debugger. Users can configure shortcuts in the engine config file.
- Bugfix: Navigation System’s navigation agent comparison can now match navigation data instances with appropriate agents in multi-navmesh environments.
- Bugfix: Navmesh raycasts now return normal vectors in the correct coordinate space.
- Bugfix: Editor no longer triggers full navmesh rebuild whenever a map is loaded.
- Bugfix: Editor does not not discard valid navigation meshes on level load.
- Bugfix: Navigation bounds gathering has been fixed by delaying navigation system initialization until actors get initialized for play.
- New: Added Anim Instance Blueprint function to request the name of a state.
- Bugfix: Blendspace input data is no longer invalid when switching assets. Blend filter now works correctly in this case.
- Bugfix: Blendspace editor no longer crashes when the editor opens for the first time.
- Bugfix: Possible divide by zero removed from animation transitions using a crossfade duration of zero.
- Bugfix: Negative curve values can be passed to animation montages and will no longer be capped to zero.
- Bugfix: All animation sub-state machines now work properly with native bindings. Previously, only top-level state machines would work.
- New: Using a pool to reuse XAudio2 voices for PC/XBoxOne platforms.
- Bugfix: Activate Reverb Effect successfully activates the specified reverb effect.
- Optimized performance when many sounds are playing at the same time.
- New: Added alignment commands for blueprints.
- Alignment methods for top/middle/bottom and left/center/right.
- Distribution methods for horizontal/vertical spacing.
- Straightening methods for connections between nodes/pins.
- Bugfix: Crash fix for saving Blueprints during a Play in Editor (PIE) session.
- Bugfix: Crash fix for prompting user to check out Blueprints during the compilation stage.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when AI Controller possesses a Pawn during the Pawn’s UnPossess event while exiting PIE.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when deleting graphs or delegates while a “Create Event” node’s graph is in the transaction buffer.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when PIE fails to start.
- Bugfix: Fixed issue with duplicating Timeline nodes that was causing “Launch” to fail afterwards.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when removing a function input after a child’s implementation had been deleted.
- Bugfix: Crash fix after breaking and then re-adding pin connections to a Macro Instance node.
- Bugfix: Crash fix with parent-child Animation Blueprint Class assets. (Related to crash reports detailing a TRASHCLASS assert at the Initialize Animation call.)
- Bugfix: Crash fix for typing long names into blueprint function input and output pins.
- Bugfix: Crash fix for a potential crash after hot-reloading a compiled game project.
- Bugfix: Crash fix from invalid macros after deleting source graph in Macro Library.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when clicking in the viewport while a new map is opening.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when using “Find References” on a struct operation node (Make, Break, Set Members).
- Bugfix: Crash fix when entering invalid values into “Make Date Time” node in Blueprints. Now it should just report an error in the log.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when using undo/redo after deletion of components from a Blueprint.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on undo/redo when deleted Blueprint is being restored after it has been recompiled.
- Bugfix: Crash fix for using “Draw Debug Float History” and “Draw Debug Transform History” in Blueprints.
- Bugfix: Using shortcut keys to add local variables will no longer crash the editor when done in a graph that does not support local variables.
- Bugfix: Removed a potential infinite loop when adjusting Actor rotation in a Blueprint function.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when using “Convert Selected Components to Blueprint Class”.
- Bugfix: Stopped resetting arbitrary defaults on cyclically-dependent Blueprint subclasses.
- Bugfix: Asset Class ID variables set to reference Blueprint classes are no longer replaced with “PLACEHOLDER” class references on load.
- Bugfix: Blueprints will no longer load with errors on macro nodes from a cyclically-dependent (out of date) macro library.
- Bugfix: Fixed a rare case where Timelines would erroneously create redirectors in a Play in Editor session.
- Bugfix: For Each Enum will now correctly iterate over all enum values.
- Bugfix: User Defined Enums begin counting at 0, and will no longer increase in increments of two.
- New placements of the Get Class Defaults node will no longer include array properties that contain object references. This is because it is a potentially unsafe connection.
- As a side note, object properties are also not exposed for the same reason.
- The Blueprint details view for non-member variables (either from a parent class or an external member reference), will no longer show uneditable options as editable.
- The Get Class Defaults node now exposes Class and Interface variables.
- Graph node comment bubbles have been improved so that they don’t obscure input pins on array graph node types.
- New: Cooked packages can now be loaded in the editor if cooked for the same non-editor version of the platform the editor runs on.
- New: Optimized custom version system so that it takes less space in saved packages and is faster to access at runtime.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on deleting an Animation Blueprint and replacing it with another one.
- Bugfix: Fixed high memory usage by streaming packages in cooked builds.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when creating a Blueprint object from an archetype that is not the class default object and has multiple components added in Blueprint.
- Bugfix: Fixed UDP Socket Receiver not resizing Array Reader to actual received size.
- Bugfix: Fixed compilation issues arising from /Zm compiler flag in Visual Studio toolchains.
- Bugfix: Fixed some threading problems with various binned malloc stats.
- Bugfix: Corrected memory reporting with Binned Slack Current stat.
- Bugfix: Corrected memory stats reporting on out of memory.
- Bugfix: Multiline comments no longer break Unreal Header Tool parsing.
- Bugfix: Non-contiguous values of user defined enums are supported properly.
- Bugfix: Fixed usage of an invalid TLS slot ID in stats code.
- Bugfix: Instanced subobjects in Blueprint are no longer with subobjects from the CDO. (Contributed by slonopotamus, Pull Request #1470.)
- Fixed Log Compile typo in Unreal Header Tool log output. (Contributed by MrMormon, Pull Request #1460.)
- Memory statistics will be output to log when the engine crashes as a result of running out of memory.
- OS memory stats are no longer acquired every tick unless stats are being captured.
- Bugfix: When using command line executable, only the call stack was visible after a crash. Now, the whole error history should be dumped to the console.
- Bugfix: Crash report client should be packaged correctly now for all projects.
Editor and Tools
- New: Added a new experimental editor preference to enable “Sequencer”!
- Sequencer is our upcoming level actor animation and cinematics creation tool.
- The current version is limited in features and lacks documentation. It’s enabled for pre-alpha testing.
- Sequencer is still in heavy development and you can expect to see major improvements with every release.
- If you are brave enough to try it out, please be sure to send feedback on the forums or AnswerHub!
- New: “Reset to default” button on the Image Size property of a brush now resets to the size of the brush’s texture, if one is set.
- New: Actor Merging tool now supports merging of collision primitives.
- New: Added a feature allowing Detail Panel categories to be shown or hidden dynamically.
- New: Added a Launch Configuration setting to the Play on Device editor settings tab, allowing you to specify the build configuration you want to use when launching from the editor Launch button drop-down menu.
- This also fixes an inconsistency where source code projects would build and launch the same configuration the editor is running, but Blueprint projects always launched using a Development configuration.
- The default setting is now to launch with the same configuration as the editor, but any build configuration can be specified.
- New: Added a new editor view mode to colorize objects based on their LOD.
- Enable from the view mode menu, or using the “viewmode lodcoloration” console command.
- The colors to use for each LOD are configured in BaseEngine.ini under LOD Coloration Colors.
- New: Added ability to merge physics data (collision primitives) for Actor Merging tool.
- New: Added support to UnrealBuildTool to rebuild the makefile whenever the user changes a BuildConfiguration.xml file.
- New: Added template to the Plugin Creator that shows how to add an example Third Party library.
- New: Changed how actor spawning / duplication works in Simulate in Editor.
- Now actors are always spawned non-permanently into the SIE world, and are destroyed upon exiting SIE.
- This is more in line with other property changes to actors, which are restored to their original state when exiting SIE.
- New: ‘Device Output Log’ window, currently implemented only for Android devices. Hidden under editor experimental settings.
- New: Editor Analytics now tracks abnormal termination and crash events in order to improve stability.
- New: Editor Analytics shutdown reporting improvements.
- Discounts abnormal termination when a debugger is attached.
- Improved locking of shared resources when running multiple instances to avoid missed reports.
- New: Improved Engine Analytics settings for Editor users and End-Users of games.
- Editor users can enable/disable their own analytics that sends usage data for their Editor sessions in “Editor Preferences->Privacy->Usage Data->Options”.
- Editor users can set the default game analytics enabled state for the end-users of their game in “Project Settings->Engine->End-User Settings->Privacy”.
- End-user’s setting is easy to expose to your game UI and should be presented as an option to send usage data to Epic Games.
- Both settings are for sending analytics to Epic Games. Developers are free to add their own analytics.
- New: Improving SuperSearch to allow you to choose Google (default) or Bing as the search engine to use. In China, Google is blocked, so Bing will allow those users to use the builtin search.
- New: The process of duplicating Brushes in the editor has now been hugely optimized.
- In a test level with 227 brushes, these are now duplicated in around 2 seconds instead of nearly 4 minutes as before.
- A dialog has been added to show progress on the operation if it takes more than a few seconds.
- Bugfix: Crash fix to project thumbnails using corrupted PNG images. Error handling is now fixed in PNG Image Wrapper to prevent this from crashing the editor.
- Bugfix: Crash fix to editor startup. Previous, it was crashing while loading tutorial images.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when putting Recast NavMesh into a World Outliner folder.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when setting a struct variable to Curve Table Row Handle.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when expanding the viewport toolbar while in 2×2 view.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when freelooking in editor viewports due to view rotation matrix calculation bug.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when importing invalid FBX files.
- Bugfix: Crash fix to renaming asset files outside of the editor while the editor is open.
- Bugfix: Brush extrusion now works correctly when a Brush actor is rotated.
- Bugfix: Duplicating an array of instanced objects in a Property Tree will correctly deep copy the objects instead of a shallow (referenced) copy.
- Bugfix: Clicking a Text property field corresponding to multiple properties will no longer cause the “Multiple Values” text to be committed to those properties.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue where widget deltas were not being correctly calculated when the widget was positioned behind the camera. This had meant that Ctrl+Mouse Button dragging to move the currently selected actor(s) along one of their axes was not working if the widget was behind the camera.
- Bugfix: Fixed Search Box widgets in context menus (for example, the search box in the Blueprint Editor context menu) so that clicking the clear button doesn’t also close the parent menu.
- Bugfix: Win DualShock plugin now links in Debug Editor mode.
- Bugfix: Merge Actors tool correctly replaces the source actors with a merged one.
- Bugfix: Mirrored blocking volumes now correctly generate collision geometry.
- New: Content browser asset discovery optimized. (Contributed by slonopotamus, Pull Request #1516.)
- Bugfix: Newly added collections don’t lose their selection state once you name them.
- Can no longer duplicate maps via the content browser.
- New: Added a mirroring tool to allow you to mirror Landscape geometry and layers using a plane.
- Bugfix: Fixed a crash with landscape that has painted holes when using ES2 feature level preview or the Mobile Previewer.
- Bugfix: Fixed a race condition in material compilation that may have been causing a hard-to-reproduce crash during landscape painting.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue where a None entry in the Landscape Grass Output node would cause landscape grass meshes to be assigned to the wrong layer.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue where landscape grass with more than 5 layers only showed the last layer.
- Bugfix: Landscape “move to level” tool doesn’t get stuck when moving components, including after the user releases the mouse.
- Bugfix: Undoing deleted landscape components no longer leaves them uneditable.
- Bugfix: Landscape grass no longer leaves “Lighting needs to be rebuilt” warning after a static lighting build.
- Landscape Grass no longer wastes memory storing empty grass map data for areas of the landscape which don’t have any grass instances.
- Removed the Layer Debug viewport view mode menu item when not in landscape edit mode.
- This view mode it doesn’t make sense without the layer checkboxes.
- Enabling it outside landscape edit mode would previously cause the landscape to disappear.
- Bugfix: Duplicate entries no longer appear in the results of searches in the Material Editor context menu.
- Bugfix: Editor no longer hangs when pressing “F” to frame an object while Matinee has a locked actor defined.
- Audio tracks will now start playing from the correct position when scrubbing in matinee.
- Bugfix: Crash fix related to state machines, states, and transitions when undoing and redoing deletions and creations.
- New: Added Field of View slider to PhAT editor view.
- Added support for the 64-bit git executable to the Git Source Control plugin on windows. (Contributed by SRombauts, Pull Request #1538.)
- Bugfix: World composition no longer allows layers to be created with non-unique names.
- Bugfix: Handled a potential issue with Hot Reload while World Composition window is open.
- New: Visibility for each foliage mesh type can be switched on/off per Editor viewport.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when assigning a new Static Mesh to Foliage that is painted across multiple levels.
- Bugfix: Foliage selection highlight no longer remains after an undo operation.
- Added a “Use as Occluder” checkbox to the foliage tool to allow foliage to correctly receive D-Buffer decals.
- New: Stopped some editor debug content which wasn’t required at run time from being cooked.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue with modified content not getting deployed to the devkit when the project folder name and project name don’t match.
- Bugfix: Added missing parameters like “cookall” to File -> Cook editor feature.
- Cooking warning related to Persona tutorial will no longer appear.
- Disabled some slow editor cooking stats.
- StableSort is used to sort .pak files in order to preserve previous sorting by file. (Contributed by Shaijan, Pull Request #1377.)
- New: Allow binding of the Section (§) key.
- New: Blueprints can now draw circles via the Debug Draw Circle node.
- Changed UTextRenderComponent to respond to the culture being changed, rather than constantly tick.
- Child Actors will no longer become disconnected from their parent when using SetClass.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when detaching child components if an On Attachment Change implementation also detaches a sibling component.
- Bugfix: Fixed a potential infinite loop case in post-transform navmesh updates that could lead to a crash.
- Removed the Blur G-Buffer stand in the Post Processing content examples map, as that feature has been removed for some time.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on Windows (Chinese version) when changing editor language.
- New: The replay streaming system can now scrub to a new time while playback is paused. Try it out in ShooterGame!
- Bugfix: The output log no longer spams “no owning connection” warnings when a client uses the “ToggleDebugCamera” console command.
- New: Added in support for haptic feedback effects, which use curves of amplitude and frequency to define the response players feel in their motion controllers.
- New: Updated Oculus Mobile SDK (GearVR) to version 0.6.2.
- New: Updated Oculus SDK to 0.8.
- Bugfix: Fixed improper reporting of Is HMD Enabled.
- Bugfix: Fixed precision issues with physics handles where rotation had to be fairly large to update target on PhysX.
- When entering “show collision” from the console, builder brushes are no longer rendered as they are now an internal detail and not intended to be viewed.
- New: Default movie player now has an optional bWaitForManualStop flag to prevent continuing until movie is explicitly stopped.
- New: Support for PNG and JPG splash screen images added on Linux, Mac, Windows. (Contributed by labidus, Pull Request #1444, and x414e54, Pull Request #1399.)
- Bugfix: Android build and iOS build and orientation setting overrides now save to .ini properly.
- Bugfix: Pinch events now trigger correctly every time.
- The correct texture LOD bias is now used when cooking.
- Added Touch Event Locations to pair with touch events since we want the actual location for that event. After a release, the finger ID may be reused for another touch far from the location of the release so the wrong location would be sent for all the events.
- Fixed editor primitives (e.g. debug wireframes) rendering flipped upside down on OpenGL ES2.
- New: Support for an optional launch screen for Android projects.
- A “Show launch image” checkbox in the Android Platform section of the Project Settings enables this feature. Examples for portrait and landscape may be found in Engine/Build/Android/Java/res/drawable as PNG files.
- Click on the “…” link next to the image in the Launch Images section of the Android Platform section to bring up a browser to copy your own image into the project.
- If the launch image is enabled, either or both launch images selected for the project will be included depending on the orientation setting in the project.
- New: Added new targetSdkVersion setting for AndroidManifest.xml to allow overriding default minSdkVersion value.
- Bugfix: Fixed backslashes in path for Android plugin XML on Mac.
- New: Device Profile detection mechanism has been changed so that new Android devices can be detected and assigned a Device Profile using user-specified rules.
- Instead of being hardcoded in C++, the matching rules are now specified in BaseDeviceProfiles.ini in the [/Script/AndroidDeviceProfileSelector.AndroidDeviceProfileMatchingRules] section.
- New: First implementation of Slate Web Browser for Android.
- New: It is now possible to package for a selected set of Android texture formats rather than just all or one.
- Check the checkboxes for the formats you wish to cook for in the Platforms, Android project settings tab.
- Select the Android_Multi cook variant when packaging.
- New: Multiple AdMob Ids may now be entered and Show Ad Banner now takes an index. New Get Ad ID Count BP node returns the array size.
- New: proguard-project.txt is now generated with additions from an optional ProguardAdditions.txt file in the project’s Build/Android directory.
- New: We have reduced the number of Android OpenGL ES shaders that we cook, so your app should be slightly smaller.
- We no longer cook separate 32-bit and 64-bit per pixel HDR shaders because the setting is chosen on the device at launch time.
- Bugfix: Galaxy S4 device variants with PowerVR GPUs (eg GT-I9500) no longer show a black scene when Mobile HDR is enabled.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on accepting editbox text in some potential cases.
- Bugfix: The Device Profiles editor no longer creates blank device profiles for the various Android texture format variants.
- Bugfix: Global (activity) audio pause handles recovery correctly in the case that the game was already paused.
- Bugfix: Android reliably logs crash callstacks.
- Fixed deploy to Android devices connected over Wi-Fi to ADB.
- The device model number and make, Android version, GPU family and/or OpenGL ES version can be evaluated using comparisons or regular expressions to select a Device Profile. The Device Profile can then set console variables to optimize the performance of Unreal Engine on the detected device.
- The default settings detect common devices and assign them a profile based on Android_High, Android_Medium or Android_Low.
- Android now reliably logs crash callstacks.
- Android project Build/Android/src cleanup now only deletes the OBB downloader’s generated java files.
- Keystore passwords are stripped from DefaultEngine.ini in pak files.
- Window resize is only triggered if orientation changes on APP_CMD_CONFIG_CHANGED event.
- Replaced default downloader background image (smaller PNG with correct aspect ratio).
- Special characters < > & ‘ ” in Android application display name requiring escaping are now automatically handled.
- Updated minimum SDK option tooltip to indicate 9 is the lowest value supported.
- Updated tooltip for Android Package Name to indicate that it must have, at minimum, two sections separated by periods.
- Fixed fullscreen immersive with launch screen enabled
- New: Added Device Profiles for new iOS devices. (iPhone 6S, iPad Mini 4, etc).
- Worked around an issue with iPhone 6 devices when trying to link a shader at runtime. This would cause an internal compiler error. We now will fall back to using OpenGL in this case.
- New: Added support for adding additional linker flags for iOS builds in the iOS project settings. (Contributed by derekvanvliet, Pull Request #1282.)
- New: Added support for controlling the idle timeout via the Control Screen Saver node for iOS.
- New: Added support for controlling iPhone vibration for iOS.
- New: Fix for UI User Notification Settings usage on pre-iOS 8 SDKs.
- New: General improvements to the AV Foundation Media framework.
- Corrected issue when playing a movie file the second time.
- Looping is supported.
- Bugfix: Crash fix to game startup when using MSAA with Metal on iOS devices.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when releasing uniform buffers encountered after multiple level loads.
- Bugfix: Fixed occasional hang in UnrealPak when utilizing pak files from File|Package in the editor on Mac.
- Bugfix: Fix for occasional loss of audio when going to the lock screen, pressing the home button, or utilizing the slide out.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue with 3rd party framework access when building iOS games on a remote build server. (Contributed by judgeaxl, Pull Request #1125.)
- Bugfix: Static libraries are now being pushed to the remote server when compiling iOS from PC. (Contributed by pluranium, Pull Request #1483.)
- Bugfix: Fixed invalid permissions for files copied as part of a remote iOS build. (Contributed by TheSoeldner, Pull Request #1578.)
- Fixed a compilation error when building for iOS 7 and above. (Contributed by BorMor, Pull Request #1547.)
- Bugfix: IOS now properly links against the correct stdlib. (Contributed by ssoria, Pull Request #1568.)
- Improved compatibility with Bundle Names which include special characters.
- Improved compatibility with iOS App Store by removing Custom Resource Rules and enabling Full Screen for games.
- Temporarily disabled the launch to device for iOS from Mac due to an issued discovered with the latest instruments from Xcode 7.
- Worked around an issue with Metal on A7 devices with iOS 9 which would cause a black screen, but no crash. We now will fall back to using OpenGL in this case.
- New: Added Tanglu OS to install script. (Contributed by cpyarger, Pull Request #1577.)
- New: All input will be ungrabbed before breaking into debugger on Linux.
- New: Implemented Linux device profile selector.
- New: Implemented memory prefetch functions in platform abstraction layer for Linux.
- New: Linux: ensure() callstacks will now be symbolicated, symbolication has been sped up. (Contributed by bozaro, Pull Request #1583.)
- New: LinuxNativeDialogs third party library is no longer built during the setup on non-Ubuntu distributions (it is no longer used).
- Bugfix: Crash fix related to invalid windows. (Contributed by andreasschultes, Pull Request #1589.)
- Bugfix: Corrected calculation of number of physical cores on Linux.
- Bugfix: Corrected calculation of window coordinates when processing event queue. (Contributed by ExpiredPopsicle, Pull Request #1466.)
- Bugfix: Fixed custom cursors on Linux. (Contributed by overlawled, Pull Request #1582.)
- Bugfix: Fixed index out of range error in Slate File Dialogs. (Contributed by chaiyuntian, Pull Request #1548.)
- Bugfix: Fixed modal dialog on Gnome. (Contributed by yaakuro, Pull Request #1388.)
- Bugfix: Corrected reporting of platform memory stats (process and overall machine) on Linux.
- Command line switch “-usehyperthreading” is now respected on Linux for consistency with other platforms. (Contributed by slonopotamus, Pull Request #1594.)
- New: Added support for automated and unattended reporting modes to Crash Report Client on Mac OS X.
- Ensures are now reported as well as crashes.
- Crash report files with spaces in their paths now work correctly.
- New: Added support for p4 command line tool installed in /usr/local/bin.
- New: Enabled subsurface scattering on OpenGL.
- Bugfix: Crash fix at exit that if GLog was initialized before the game thread was created.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on clicking a dropdown located in an inactive window in apps using the standalone OpenGL renderer.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10) and earlier related to debug symbols (.dSYM) being wrongly treated as dSYM bundles by the OS when next to the associated binary. Moved dSYM files out of application bundles.
- Bugfix: Crash Report Client on Mac OS X can now reopen the correct project when ‘Send & Restart’ is used.
- Bugfix: Fixed handling of mouse cursor position in non-native fullscreen modes on secondary screens.
- Bugfix: Stopped Mac OS X compiler stripping necessary allocator overrides and causing memory errors.
- Bugfix: Mac icon preview in the project properties no longer displays swapped colors.
- Bugfix: Fixed splash screen rendering for images with DPI different than 72.
- Bugfix: Fixed strange reflections in templates on Mac OS X by re-enabling seamless cube map support.
- Bugfix: Temporal AA rendering on Mac OS X correctly handles NaN values. Disabled shader code that relies on features not yet available on Mac OS X.
- Bugfix: Fixed window activation when clicking on a draggable widget of an inactive editor.
- Bugfix: Fixed window reordering issues on app activation.
- Allowed windows to be larger than a single monitor on Mac OS X so that taking screenshots of projects at iOS Retina resolutions works.
- Android device detection in editor keeps the last ANDROID_HOME setting in .bash_profile instead of the first.
- Re-enabled seamless cube-map support in Mac OpenGL to stop strange square reflections appearing in template projects.
- New: Added ability to use unsafe command buffers to reduce CPU overhead. Enabled in PS4 projects settings. Saves approx 0.4ms of CPU on draw thread in ShooterGame when running single threaded.
- New: PAK files are now padded and compressed in PKGs to reduce patch sizes for titles built with 4.10 and later.
- New: Updated to SDK 3.000.
- New: Vertex/Index buffers now always use GPU memory unless they specifically require CPU readback.
- Bugfix: Crash fix in the PS4 GPU allocator when a chunk is destroyed.
- Bugfix: Procedural mesh components now draw on PS4.
- Bugfix: Touch pad now works when Morpheus is enabled.
- Bugfix: Fixed constant reverb on all sounds.
- Bugfix: DS4 Touch and Mouse are now initialized properly.
- Bugfix: Touch events hit widgets correctly when running on Morpheus.
- Bugfix: Fixed PS4 C# projects getting added to the UE4 Solution when the PS4 SDK is not installed.
- Bugfix: Fixed directory iteration not working correctly with certain deep folder layouts. Fixes issues with missing levels when using world composition.
- Reduced the size of command buffer blocks to 64k. This reduces the memory overhead of parallel rendering and reduces pressure on the Onion GPU memory pool.
- Moved Vertex and Index buffers to allocate from Garlic memory unless they require CPU readback. This reduces pressure on the small GPU Onion memory, and is a small GPU perf boost.
- Fixed a packaging bug what would cause packaging to fail if a 50GB bluray was required, but only a 25GB bluray was specified.
- New: Distance field ambient occlusion and shadowing are now enabled on Xbox One.
- New: The default Xbox One XDK has been updated to August 2015.
- New: Various rendering optimizations have been made in preparation for a future switch to the fast semantics driver.
- Dynamic vertex and index buffers are now handled manually, saving time spent in the driver and avoiding syncing with the GPU.
- Swapchain handling updated to latest APIs.
- Removed some old verification code that won’t work with fast semantics.
- Shader compilation options tweaked for slightly better GPU performance.
- Memory corruption is prevented in the case that an invalid controller ID is passed into the force feedback channel functions.
- Bugfix: Fixed issue when copying the HTML5 helper command template due to read only file attributes.
- Bugfix: Numerous path slash issues for HTML5 packaging on Mac have been fixed.
- Bugfix: String Builder now outputs “\n” instead of system dependent line endings.
- Memory corruption is prevented in the case that an invalid controller ID is passed into the force feedback channel functions.
- Modified DDS cubemap loading to prevent an array overflow. (Contributed by ExpiredPopsicle, Pull Request #1315.)
- New: Render Target 2D can now automatically generate all mipmaps. (Contributed by CoherentUE4, Pull Request #189.)
- New: Show a warning message when going over the texture streaming budget.
- Bugfix: Fixed a case where material billboard components were culled incorrectly.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue when rendering translucent materials in the HUD using Draw Material.
- Bugfix: Cloth and skeletal meshes no longer flicker when almost out of view.
- Bugfix: Fixed particle systems that have dirty distributions saved to disk.
- Bugfix: Fixed dithered LOD transitions on HISMC meshes with materials without dithered LOD transitions.
- Bugfix: Flickering due to incorrect LOD rendering no longer occurs when adjusting the transform of a Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh instance at runtime.
- Bugfix: Flickering due to occlusion queries no longer occurs when Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh Components are added or updated at runtime.
- Bugfix: Light Accumulation target are now resolved before being used in non-tiled reflections.
- Bugfix: “Use as Occluder” checkbox now functions correctly for Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh Components.
- Bugfix: Fixed procedural mesh components not drawing on certain platforms due to the Max Vertex Index not getting set correctly.
- Bugfix: Motion blur on cloth fixed. (Contributed by braindx, Pull Request #123.)
- Bugfix: Fixed a case where an unbound depth target was causing artifacts.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when using Light Propagation Volumes with translucency.
- Bugfix: Fixed a case where Lightmass could hang indefinitely.
- Bugfix: Fixed objects being culled by the near plane of the shadow frustum with RTDF shadows: shadow casters behind the camera no longer pop out.
- Bugfix: Subsurface Profile now displays the correct colors.
- Bugfix: Fixed skylights on translucency in projects with static lighting disabled.
- New: Subsurface scattering is enabled on OpenGL platforms.
- Fixed a performance regression in the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion.
- New: Added Screen Space Ambient Occlusion scalability.
- New: Refraction on mobile, enabled by default for high-end devices.
- Bugfix: Fixed incorrect reflection transforms when using unlit materials with forward shading.
- Bugfix: Fixed several issues with scene capture rendering.
- Final color captures now work with forward renderer.
- Crash fix when using captures when mobile HDR is not enabled.
- Fixed possible bug in post processing that could incorrectly resolve an image when a sub rect of the scene render target was used.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when using Depth of Field in iOS platform.
- Bugfix: Handled precision issues with Object Scale material function on some Android devices.
- Bugfix: Crash and rendering issues on Nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4 when map has decals.
- Bugfix: Crash fix during editing arrays in the Widget Blueprint property editor.
- Bugfix: Fix animation for byte and enum properties for values greater than 1.
- New: Slate Windows whose dimensions are bigger than the work area are now clamped in size so that they are not clipped.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when deleting a Slate Image Run that isn’t set to use a dynamic brush.
- Bugfix: Set Button Style (on Buttons) now updates hovered and pressed sounds. These sounds can be dynamically changed from a Blueprint by switching the button’s style.
- Bugfix: Fixed a rendering issue with submenu button entries which was causing their text to turn black when opening their submenu.
- Bugfix: Resetting a slate brush image size will now correctly reset to the image size and not to the default slate size (32×32).
- Bugfix: Text Box is now updated when Set Text has same text, but with case changed.
- Bugfix: Crash fix when dragging widgets out of Switchers in the UMG designer.
- Fixed unsafe active widget index in Widget Switcher that could act as out-of-bounds index into child array.
- Bugfix: Crash fix on adding a UMG widget to the viewport twice.
- Bugfix: Crash fix with Scroll Widget Into View. Providing a null value will no longer cause a crash.
- Bugfix: UMG editor no longer allows invalid object names when renaming widgets.
- Having a period in the name of a widget would cause the editor to crash after copying and pasting.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue with UI materials where they were not gamma corrected and rendered darker on mobile devices than on PC.
- Bugfix: Fixed Blueprint compilation issue in which UMG widgets containing an instance of the widget being edited would fail to auto-compile.
- Bugfix: Slider value has been clamped to [0, 1] to prevent the handle from sliding off the bar.
- Bugfix: The Left menu anchor position now offsets by the correct amount.
- Slider Locked/Handle Indent properties are now respected.
- The Widget Component will now correctly hit test once again.
- Bugfix: Fixed several Slate controls, such as Slider and Checkbox, on touch devices. They once again respond to touch events.
Programming Release Notes
- Optimized FAudioDevice::FindActiveSound by reducing weak object pointer comparisons.
- New: Added basic support for MasterPoseComponent to UPoseableMeshComponent.
- Bugfix: Fixed over-counting memory issues in exclusive GetResourceSize reporting in both UAnimSequence and USkeletalMesh.
- ARecastNavMesh::OnNavMeshGenerationFinished has been made virtual so that game-specific ARecastNavMesh-derived classes can easily react to that event.
- Cached World pointer has been removed from NavigationData class since it had the potential to cause Garbage Collection issues.
- Navigation Data instances get cleaned up in EndPlay now, rather than waiting until Destroyed.
- New: Added custom deleter support to TSharedPtr.
- New: Added support for nested serializable objects during conversion to JSON.
- New: Added FVector::DistSquaredXY helper function. (Contributed by EverNewJoy, Pull Request #1365.)
- New: FCachedReadPlatformFile can now be disabled to decrease memory usage at the expense of speed.
- Disabled Hot-Reload functionality in game builds.
- Fix multiline comments parsing in UHT, where end of comment was treated as start of one, e.g. // Comment //
- Fixed a lot of Hot-Reload errors.
- Fixed return value of HexToBytes.
- ModuleRelativePath Metadata will now be properly generated for structures in UnrealHeaderTool.
- Fix “error: ‘&’ within ‘|'” in EditorPerformanceTests.cpp when using clang-3.5.2. (Contributed by slonopotamus, Pull Request #1430.)
- Fixed LogCompile typo: Tabify time was was… (Contributed by MrMormon, Pull Request #1460.)
- Removed unnecessary memory allocations from TMultiMap::MultiFind.
- UPackage::PackageFlags made private.
- Classes referenced by ConstructorHelpers::FClassFinder will no longer be garbage collected when unreferenced.
- Fixed a rare crash when streaming packages and loading objects not asynchronously in one of the streamed object’s PostLoad functions.
Editor and Tools
- New: Slow Task dialogs can now be set to automatically open only after a certain amount of time has passed.
- This can be useful if it’s not necessarily known in advance how long a task will take, but where opening the dialog for only a second or so would be disruptive.
- Fixed a bug that was causing TAssetPtrs to point to the wrong objects during play-in-editor sessions.
- The BuildPatchServices plugin now compiles correctly on non desktop platforms.
- New: AAmbientSound can now be extended in game modules.
- New: ASceneCaptureCube can now be subclassed by game modules.
- Bugfix: Crash fixed in CheckStillInWorld() after Actor has been destroyed or is not in the world.
- Bugfix: Crash fix in RepairWorldSettings() when the UWorldSettings subclass originally saved with the map no longer exists.
- Deprecated unused USkinnedMeshComponent::bCharDistancetDistanceFactor.
- Fixed crash when PlayerController is given a LocalPlayer in commandlet mode.
- Updated async trace handling to accept trace requests more widely. Avoids some asserts when poorly-timed requests would come in.
- Using the assignment operator for FActorSpawnParameters will no longer cause a deprecation warning.
- USceneCaptureComponentCube::UpdateContent is now callable outside of Engine module.
- Bugfix: Corrected receive buffer size in UDP Socket Receiver.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the value of AWorldSettings::WorldGravityZ not to be applied on clients after it changed on the server.
- New: FWebImage class now detects image format based on the file header instead of relying on http mime headers being set up correctly.
- New: FCachedReadPlatformFile is off by default on Windows since WindowsPlatformFile already caches the reads.
- Improved error handling in Mac media player.
- New: A new Android plugin system is included in 4.10 and the GearVR plugin now uses it. Changes to the generated AndroidManifest.xml, proguard-project.xt, and GameActivity.java may be made during packaging along with staging files by adding an AndroidPlugin property in their build.cs to reference an XML file containing commands; see GearVR.build.cs and GearVR_APL.xml for an example. AndroidPluginLanguage.cs documents the commands available.
- Fixed Resolution cache RequestedContentScaleFactor log message.
- Fixed compile errors in GearVR plugin for non ARMv7 targets.
- Changed the way AAPT is located to check PgkRevision instead of always using first subdirectory of build-tools in Android SDK.
- CompileOpenGLShader for Android now only checks the compile result immediately during initial shader tests.
- Default for Android SDKAPILevel is now “matchndk” instead of “latest”.
- Fixed issue with bool.ToString() on Mono returning “True” or “False” instead of “true” or “false” in Android plugin language.
- Fixed missing #include needed for non-unity Android builds.
- Fixed Visual Studio debugger .NatVis issues. TSparseArray, TBitSet, TMap, and TSet can now handle indices > 31 and invalid values now display “Invalid” correctly.
- Bugfix: Crash fix in FDynamicSkelMeshObjectDataGPUSkin when using MasterPoseComponent on something other than USkeletalMeshComponent.
- Improved clearing render targets on D3D12. (Contributed by JeffRous, Pull Request #1621.)
- Fixed an issue on D3D12 where indirect arguments had the wrong offset.
- Fixes for D3D12 resource binding on Tier 1 hardware.
C++ API Changes
- Multiple AdMob IDs may now be entered and Show Ad Banner now takes an index. New Get Ad ID Count Blueprint node returns the array size. ShowAdBanner() method in advertising provider now takes an int32 Ad ID Index.
- Fixed return value of the HexToBytes function. Code which uses the return value of HexToBytes should be aware that the return value is now 1 more than before.
- UPackage::PackageFlags made private. UPackage::PackageFlags has been deprecated and should no longer be set or read directly. Use Get/Set/Clear/HasAny/HasAll PackageFlags instead.
- “Reset to default” button on the Image Size property of a brush now resets to the size of the brush’s texture, if one is set. IDetailPropertyRow::OverrideResetToDefault() parameters have changed to take a single parameter of type FResetToDefaultOverride that defines the override behavior.
- New placements of a GetClassDefaults node in a Blueprint function graph will no longer expose array properties that contain object references. This is currently needed in order to prevent mutation of a default object that belongs to an owning class.
- Existing placements will preserve any exposed property whose default value is an array of object references, but the Blueprint compiler will now emit an “unsafe connection” warning in this case, as it’s a potential risk, as we don’t currently support read-only object references in a Blueprint.
- The default Xbox One XDK has been updated to August 2015. A minimum XDK version of August 2015 is required to build using the Visual Studio 2015 XDK version on Xbox One.
- PS4 updated to SDK 3.000. SDK 3.000 is now required to compile on PS4.
- If you are using Morpheus, you must edit your param.sfo and enable it in the settings.
- Users should update their Oculus runtimes to 0.8, provided on the Oculus website.
Welcome to Unreal Engine 4.10! This release is packed with a number of great new features, but our main focus has been to increase engine stability and fix outstanding issues. Hundreds of reported bugs have been bashed, many new quality of life improvements were added, and virtually every supported platform has received updates.
Unreal Engine is designed for incredible VR experiences, and every release it gets better. Epic’s “Bullet Train” VR demo is powered by new features in this version, with new rendering optimizations designed specifically for head mounted displays.
Mobile gets a nice upgrade in this release too, with new scalability features and support for refraction.
Last but not least, great news for programmers: You can now use Visual Studio 2015 for development on Windows. And on Mac, we’ve revamped our Xcode projects to allow you to work more efficiently. We’ve also refreshed our target platforms with support for latest SDKs.
New: Refraction Effects for Mobile
Refraction effects are now fully supported on mobile platforms. Your existing shaders with refraction will automatically work on mobile devices in this release — no extra steps are required!
- Enabled on iPhone 5S and above and Android devices such as Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6
- It can be enabled on other devices by setting the r.RefractionQuality render variable in their corresponding Device Profile
New: Optimized VR Rendering
Your VR games get faster in this release, thanks to new rendering optimizations specifically for head mounted displays. We’ve implemented a new “Hidden and Visible Mesh optimization” to reduce the GPU overhead of VR rendering.
Bullet Train VR Demo, by Epic Games
These two optimizations ensure that we do not spend GPU time working on pixels that will not be displayed in the actual device, because of lens distortions. The hidden area mesh works as a prepass, where we take a mesh that represents the area hidden from view, and reject everything behind the mesh. Next, for the post-processing stage, we use the inverse of that mesh, which represents the visible pixels, and then only run post processing on those. By using these two techniques, you get “free” performance! On “Bullet Train,” we saw about 0.25 ms total savings on the PC, where the total frame time is only 11ms. On console platforms you can expect to see much larger performance gains!
New: Visual Studio 2015 Support
Unreal Engine has been updated to Visual Studio 2015 on Windows platform!
Visual Studio 2015 includes many new improvements that should help your workflow, including support for new modern C++ language features like uniform initializers and delegating constructors. The new compiler is also very standards-compliant and will detect more errors in your code.
You can download the free Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition right here. For other versions, head over to the Visual Studio web site. Unreal Engine supports Visual Studio 2015 Community, Professional, Enterprise as well as Express for Desktop (with some limitations.)
Important: The launcher distribution of the engine now requires Visual Studio 2015 with C++ support enabled. Please upgrade your team now! If you use the New Project wizard inside Unreal Engine, we’ll help you get Visual Studio 2015 downloaded and installed.
Important: The Visual Studio 2015 installer does not install C++ by default when installing manually. Make sure to choose “Custom” when prompted, then expand the Programming Languages section, and check Visual C++.
When compiling your project the first time, be on the lookout for new compiler errors reported because the new C++ compiler is more strict. Microsoft has posted this document with examples of changes that could affect your code.
If you need to continue using Visual Studio 2013, you’ll need to compile the engine yourself from the GitHub source code. The primary reason for not supporting Visual Studio 2013 in the launcher distribution is because the additional precompiled binaries, debug symbols and static libraries for both versions of the compiler would have significantly increased the engine size and caused project setup to be more complicated on Windows. We’ll be fully retiring support for Visual Studio 2013 in an upcoming release.
New: Mobile Material Quality
The new Material Quality system allows your game to easily scale all the way down to low end devices, without sacrificing quality on more modern devices!
You can now generate Low, Medium and High quality versions of shaders for all materials! With each tier, you can selectively disable rendering features to increase performance on low end devices. UE4 will automatically detect a good default quality level for many popular devices.
Galaxy S6 Edge (High quality materials)
- High material quality automatically selected
- Specular reflections, roughness, metals, normal maps and directional lighting
Galaxy S III (Material quality scaled down)
- Material quality automatically scaled for optimal performance
- Specular reflections, variation in roughness, metals, normal maps and directional lighting are disabled
New: UE4 Platform Updates and SDKs
Every release of UE4 contains improvements for supported platforms along with updated support for latest platform SDKs
Platform highlights in this release:
- Oculus Rift updated to support 0.8 SDK Beta
- Oculus Mobile SDK updated to support 0.6.2
- Xbox One was updated to the August XDK and now compiles using Visual Studio 2015
- Playstation 4 was updated to SDK 3.00 (with Playstation VR support!)
- iOS support was updated to SDK 9.0
- Mac OS X was updated to SDK 10.11 (El Capitan)
- Xcode support was updated for Version 7
- Android now supports Marshmallow (6.0)
- Ongoing fixes to Linux/SteamOS, and minor improvements in lower level functionality.
New: Landscape Mirror Tool
Using the new Mirror Tool you can easily make symmetrical landscapes. This is really useful for competitive two-team landscape levels!
- Mirrors the heightmap, material layers and landscape grass
- Mirror in either direction over the X or Y axis
New: Low-latency VR Motion Controllers
We’ve updated Motion Controller Components to now do a late-update right before we begin rendering. You can see the difference between a late-updated and a non-late-updated component’s position and rotation below. The screenshot was taken during a normal speed, side-to-side arm motion.
This is the same technique that we use to reduce latency with head mounted displays. We now update Motion Controller Component positions twice per frame: once during the input tick, and once again right before we render. That means that controls will feel more responsive, and better reflect what the player is doing in the real world. This feature is enabled by default.
New: Automatic Blueprint Node Arrangement
We’ve added a comprehensive set of layout routines for fast automatic organization of Blueprint graphs.
Just right click on selected nodes and choose “Alignment” to automatically arrange those nodes.
Here’s what you can do with this feature:
- Aligning the selected nodes based on their bounds (Top/Middle/Bottom, Left/Center/Right).
- Distributing the selected nodes along a horizontal/vertical axis.
- Straightening connections between the selected nodes.
- Straightening a specific link connected to a particular pin.
New: Web Browser UI on Android
Android now supports Web Browser widgets created either in a Widget Blueprint or in C++ using Slate code. This can be used to display content hosted anywhere on the web, for example a news messages to your users or help text.
- On Android, the platform’s native web control is used so there is no increase in the executable size.
- Web Browser widgets will be supported on iOS in a future release.
New: Gamepad Features for Android
Multiple gamepads are now supported for Android along with identifying some common controller types and mappings.
The following Android controllers are automatically detected. Others will fall back to generic mappings.
Other new features for Android controllers:
- Mappings are now detected automatically based on the name of the controller device
- Multiple controllers are now supported simultaneously
- We now handle both Z/RZ and RX/RY mappings of axes to right joystick
- Left Trigger / Brake and Right Trigger / Gas axes now work properly
- X/Y Hat now maps to directional pad button events
Quick note about supporting more than one controller at the same time: Pressing a button on an unassigned gamepad will now associate the device ID with the first unassigned controller ID. Gamepad to controller ID assignments may also be queried or cleared with three new Blueprint nodes:
New: Xcode Project Overhaul
We’ve greatly improved how Xcode projects are generated for your game! You’ll now have access to Xcode’s live issues and “Fix It” features, and indexing is much faster. Plus it’s way easier to switch between build configurations!
Instead of a single project containing multiple targets we now have a workspace consisting of multiple projects, one per target. You now open UE4.xcworkspace instead of UE4.xcodeproj in Xcode. Each project in the workspace creates a single scheme that’s used to build various UE4 targets. What is being built and run is determined by active configuration and platform.
You’ll no longer have to worry about which executable to run. Xcode will automatically choose the correct app when you switch build configurations. Please note that changing the active configuration does not update the Executable drop down in the scheme editor, that’s a known issue with Xcode. It will, however, use the correct app when you run from Xcode.
Even though StrategyGame.app is shown, the StrategyGameEditor.app will be launched!
Project indexing should now be faster and more accurate. Additionally, live issues are displayed and Xcode’s Fix-it system works now:
New: Mobile Provisioning Profile Selector
Users are now able to explicitly select a mobile provision and certificate in the iOS Project Settings. Previously, a “best match” provision and certificate were used (and highlighted in green, as seen below). Now, there are check boxes next to them which will allow a particular provision or certificate to be used instead of the best match. If no items are selected, the green ones will be used.
A new company wants to build artificial intelligence through game play.
The “artificial intelligence” found in most computer games isn’t very intelligent at all. Characters in the games tend to be controlled by algorithms that produce patterns of behaviors designed to seem natural and realistic, but the characters are actually rigid, with no capacity to learn or adapt.
One company hopes to come up with something a lot smarter by providing a platform that lets software learn how to behave within a game, whether in response to basic stimuli or to more complex situations. The hope is that this kind of learning will eventually allow complex behavior to emerge in game characters—and make for better AI in a range of applications.
Keen Software, based in the Czech Republic and the U.K., makes several “sandbox” games in which players can construct complex virtual structures and machines using realistic materials and physics. This July, the company spun out a business called GoodAI that aims to develop sophisticated AI using machine learning. Marek Rosa, Keen’s CEO, invested $10 million of his own money in the new company.
GoodAI has released open-source software called Brain Simulator that can be used to train a series of artificial neural networks in how to respond to stimuli from a game environment. Through trial and error, these networks can learn how to play a simple game. And several networks can be chained together to create more complex behavior, making it possible for software to learn how to achieve an objective that may require numerous steps.
The company’s researchers have shown that Brain Simulator can be used to train software to play some simple two-dimensional games. These include Breakout, in which a player bounces a ball off a wall of bricks (which disappear once hit), and a maze game that requires completing a series of different tasks.
The virtual character in the maze game “will start to do some random actions, and will be observing how he is changing the environment, or how it’s changing him,” Rosa says. “While he’s changing the environment, he’s learning all these associations and these patterns.”
Learning associations and patterns happens to be a key goal for AI in general, which is why Rosa hopes to eventually develop forms of artificial intelligence with broad utility beyond games. That’s reminiscent of the approach taken by an AI startup called DeepMind that Google bought last year (see “Google’s AI Masters Space Invaders”).DeepMind is using customized machine-learning approaches to teach software to play various simple games.
AI researchers have long used game play as a way to test artificial-intelligence software, says Roman Yampolskiy, an assistant professor at the University of Louisville. “From checkers to chess to poker and go, some of the greatest accomplishments in AI research have been demonstrated around the game board,” he says. What’s interesting about the approach GoodAI and DeepMind are taking is their computers are not given prior understanding of a game’s rules, he says.
However, it’s still not clear whether the strategy will be useful beyond games. Yampolskiy, who has looked at GoodAI’s software, says that while it is a worthwhile contribution to the field, it may be very hard to use as the basis for a more general-purpose AI.
- Resume Full name Sayed Ahmadreza Razian Nationality Iran Age 35 (1982) Website ahmadrezarazian.ir Email ahmadrezar...
- معرفی نام و نام خانوادگی سید احمدرضا رضیان محل اقامت ایران - اصفهان سن 33 (متولد 1361) پست الکترونیکی email@example.com درجات علمی...
- Nokte – نکته نرم افزار کاربردی نکته نسخه 1.0.8 (رایگان) نرم افزار نکته جهت یادداشت برداری سریع در میزکار ویندوز با قابلیت ذخیره سازی خودکار با پنل ساده و کم ح...
- Tianchi-The Purchase and Redemption Forecasts 2015 Special Prize – Tianchi Golden Competition (2015) “The Purchase and Redemption Forecasts” in Big data (Alibaba Group) Among 4868 teams. Introd...
- Tianchi-Brick and Mortar Store Recommendation with Budget Constraints Ranked 5th – Tianchi Competition (2016) “Brick and Mortar Store Recommendation with Budget Constraints” (IJCAI Socinf 2016-New York,USA)(Alibaba Group...
- 1st National Conference on Computer Games-Challenges and Opportunities 2016 According to the public relations and information center of the presidency vice presidency for science and technology affairs, the University of Isfah...
- Drowning Detection by Image Processing In this research, I design an algorithm for image processing of a swimmer in pool. This algorithm diagnostics the swimmer status. Every time graph sho...
- Shangul Mangul HabeAngur Shangul Mangul HabeAngur (City of Goats) is a game for child (4-8 years). they learn how be useful in the city and respect to people. Persian n...
- 3rd International Conference on The Persian Gulf Oceanography 2016 Persian Gulf and Hormuz strait is one of important world geographical areas because of large oil mines and oil transportation,so it has strategic and ...
- 2nd Symposium on psychological disorders in children and adolescents 2016 2nd Symposium on psychological disorders in children and adolescents 2016 Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery – University of Isfahan – 2 Aug 2016 - Ass...
- My City This game is a city simulation in 3d view. Gamer must progress the city and create building for people. This game is simular the Simcity.
- GPU vs CPU in raytrace
- Deep Learning for Computer Vision with MATLAB and cuDNN Deep learning is becoming ubiquitous. With recent advancements in deep learning algorithms and GPU technology...
- Head-mounted Displays (HMD) Head-mounted displays or HMDs are probably the most instantly recognizable objects associated with virtual rea...
- کودا – CUDA کودا به انگلیسی (CUDA) که مخفف عبارت انگلیسی Compute Unified Device Architecture است یک سکوی پردازش موازی و مد...
- Unity – What’s new in Unity 5.3.4 The Unity 5.3.4 public release brings you a few improvements and a large number of fixes. Read the release not...
- Using Machine Learning to Optimize Warehouse Operations With thousands of orders placed every hour and each order assigned to a pick list, Europe’s leading online fas...
- Unity – What’s new in Unity 5.3.3 The Unity 5.3.3 public release brings you a few improvements and a large number of fixes. Read the release not...
- Automatic Colorization Automatic Colorization of Grayscale Images Researchers from the Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago and University of Chicago developed a fully aut...
- AMD Ryzen Downcore Control AMD Ryzen 7 processors comes with a nice feature: the downcore control. This feature allows to enable / disabl...
- Real-Time Pedestrian Detection using Cascades of Deep Neural Networks Google Research presents a new real-time approach to object detection that exploits the efficiency o...
- Diagnosing Cancer with Deep Learning and GPUs Using GPU-accelerated deep learning, researchers at The Chinese University of Hong Kong pushed the boundaries ...
- Unreal Engine 4.10 Release Notes This release brings hundreds of updates for Unreal Engine 4, including 53 improvements submitted by the commun...
- IBM Watson Chief Technology Officer Rob High to Speak at GPU Technology Conference Highlighting the key role GPUs will play in creating systems that understand data in human-like ways, Rob High...
- About CUDA – More Than A Programming Model The CUDA compute platform extends from the 1000s of general purpose compute processors featured in our GPU's c...
- Virtual Reality in the Military Virtual reality has been adopted by the military – this includes all three services (army, navy and air force)...
- Star Wars: Battlefront, Fallout 4 Lead E3 2015 Awards NomineesDICE's shooter receives five total nominations, including overall Best of …
- Back to Dinosaur IslandBack to Dinosaur Island takes advantage of 15 years of …
- 10 Ways NVIDIA Is Making Virtual Reality a RealityMy first impression of virtual reality was back in the …
- Upcoming Webinar: Machine Learning and Computer Vision are Redefining Visual SearchEvery second, Millions of videos are generated and consumed every …
- Performance Portability from GPUs to CPUs with OpenACCOpenACC gives scientists and researchers a simple and powerful way to …
- Windows 10 reviewWindows 10 is an entirely new version of the veteran …
- AI Build Smart Home Hub Smart Home Hub Brings Artificial Intelligence Into Your HomeA new AI-powered device will be able to replace all …
- Automating big-data analysisBig-data analysis consists of searching for buried patterns that have …
- Weekly Social Roundup from TwitterWe love seeing all of the GPU-related tweets – here’s …
- Scientists Gather at University of Delaware for OpenACC HackathonOak Ridge National Lab, NVIDIA and PGI launched the OpenACC …